Sunday, July 13, 2008

weekend recap

this weekend went from bad to good to horrible to great to awful.

aye.

Friday, Ray and I left for Palm Springs. we're about 2 miles from the house, stuck in traffic from hell and I realize I forgot the camera. Ray didn't want to turn around and go back, just to sit in the same traffic again (we had already gotten a late start), so we just said eff it. we dropped the dogs off at the cage-free kennel we take them to, then hit Target to buy some cheapy sunnies for Ray to wear this weekend (he lost his Ray-Bans a few weeks ago in Sacramento). while in Target, I realize that I also forgot the new beach bag that I bought specifically for this trip and the spray-on sunscreen. a definite must-have for a trip to Palm Springs. we bought more sunscreen, found some sunglasses for Ray, convinced him to stop at the Old Navy in West Covina (on our way) so that I could buy another bag, and we were on our way. we get back on the freeway, get a few miles, and realize that the checkout girl didn't put the sunglasses in the bag. Ray was ready to keep going (we were getting entirely frustrated at this point because of traffic and me forgetting just about everything), but I wasn't about to let those $17 go to waste. so we stop at the closest Target (not the original one we went to), hoping that they would be accomodating. maybe call the other store to verify that we bought them and had them sitting there. but nope. we had to go back to the Target we bought the glasses at. so we drive all the way back there, the sunglasses are nowhere to be found, Ray gets his money back and we leave town.

that night was great. we got into Palm Springs, settled into our room (after having to switch rooms since the first supposed non-smoking room they gave was smelled like an ashtray), and headed down to the resort restaurant for dinner. and it was delicious. Ray had seared ahi tuna and I had Three Shellfish, which was a giant prawn, two huge scallops, lobster hash and baby potatoes. the drinks were great too.

afterwards, we hung out at the bar for a few hours. and drank. and drank. and drank some more. I slammed down 6 martinis in a matter of hours. and that's where it went downhill. I was up puking the entire night. and hungover until early Saturday afternoon. we had a couples hot stone massage scheduled for noon. we pushed it back to 1pm. I still wasn't feeling well enough. we were going to cancel it (to the tune of a $125 cancellation fee), but luckily Ray was able to reschedule it for 10am Sunday morning. perfect.

after I got my ass out of bed, we headed down the pool for a few hours. it was so relaxing, just what we needed. we met a pretty cool couple from Temecula. I even had a few drinks (after I had sworn that I would never drink again). I'm a champ, if I do say so myself. around 6:30 we headed back to our room to get ready for our 7:45 reservation at Ruth's Chris. went to dinner and enjoyed every morsel. came back to the hotel and just snuggled in bed for the rest of the night.

got up this morning, had our very enjoyable hot stone massage, then headed home. not two minutes after we get home and get out of the truck, the wind picks up, we hear a bang and my car alarm starts going off. the wind picked up the cover to the water heater (that is right next to my parked car) and slammed it into the side of my car leaving a bunch of gouges and scratches in the paint. it even gouged my driver's side window. the door needs to be completely repainted. I am so pissed. after doing some research, our landlord is actually responsible for the damage since the water heater cover was not properly secured. so now we have to see about her paying for it. if she doesn't, it might get pretty nasty. what a complete slap in the face at the end of our weekend.

but, anyway, since this trip was to celebrate our 2nd proposal anniversary (Ray proposed in Palm Springs, complete with dinner at Ruth's Chris on July 15, 2006), and I always like posts with pictures, I will leave you with some pictures from the weekend we got engaged (since I forgot my camera this time around).

at Ruth's Chris before he popped the question. he looks absolutely terrified in this picture.

the gazebo at the resort set up with rose petals, strawberries and champagne that Ray had arranged


right after we got engaged (my face is a hot mess from bawling)

our room with a trail of rose petals to the bed, a rose petal heart on the bed and a box of Godiva chocolates in the center

the complimentary chocolate covered strawberries and champagne (our second bottle of the night)

so after this crazy weekend of ups and downs, I'm going to look at my pictures, remember that wonderful weekend in July 2006, have some Pinkberry and eat some sushi to make me feel better.

3 comments:

Christi said...

isn't that usually how "perfectly planned" weekends away go? i totally know how you feel...but you still have a great time and what a thing to celebrate! time to relish in the pure bliss...and pink berry and sushi! =) hope your week is great and all gets worked out with your car, boo.

Freckles Chick said...

Oh no! What a bummer that your weekend didn't go as planned =( Hopefully you'll look back on this and laugh, down the road.

Dusty @AllThingsG+D said...

OMG, what a crazy weekend! I'm glad you made it through unscathed (even though your car didn't). =( The pics from your proposal are so beautiful! Happy anniversary!