Tuesday, July 29, 2008

"I feel the earth move under my feet..."

"I feel the sky tumblin' down, tumblin' down"


I was sitting on the couch this morning, catching up on my daily internet hits when all of a sudden the house starts shaking. I immediately knew that we were in the midst of an earthquake. it started off slow, got a little stronger, then a big jolt, then tapered off. Kona was freaked the eff out. Cammie just stood there. I'm not sure if she just couldn't figure out what was happening or if she was scared, but I had made my way under the archway separating the dining room and living room, trying to keep a hold on Kona (since she was wanting to run the other direction) and tried to call her over. she wouldn't move. who knows, maybe she thought it was fun and was just riding it out.

a lot of times I'll be out at different stores, restuarants, even our old apartments where oftentimes the building shakes from people walking or trucks going by. the first thought that runs through my head is "Earthquake!" even though an actual earthquake feels completely different. but I have never felt our current house shake at all from anything, so I knew immediately that it was a quake. it was a good 15 seconds or so. it was scary. but, like all of the other ones I've been in, it's scary at the time, then kinda cool afterwards (of course after knowing that everything is alright). but it also makes me realize that, yes, the big one is coming. and predictions are that it's going to be soon.

kinda scary. very scary.

R and I are setting up an earthquake emergency kit this weekend. it's something that we really should have done a long time ago. today was a reality check.

1 comments:

Freckles Chick said...

OMG, Kell, I would be FUH-REAKING out! I come from the land of tornadoes (grew up in Iowa) and any natural disaster just makes me curl up in the fetal position.