Sunday, November 16, 2008

weekend recap

pretty low-key weekend.

Friday: passed out on the couch around 7pm. woke up, ordered in Thai, watched some tivo, passed out again. getting up at 5am 5 days a week is kicking my butt.

Saturday: ran some errands in the morning. we ventured up into the valley and saw a lot of the smoke from the most recent fires here in California. it's quite scary. and so many people have lost their homes. we're even getting ash floating around where we live. luckily they're saying that the Santa Ana winds will be dying down soon, and our temperatures are supposed to be cooler, so hopefully it helps the situation.

after running errands, we came home to watch the Gators stomp all over South Carolina and clinch the SEC East. so we'll be playing for the SEC championship against Alabama (currently ranked #1) on December 6th. I can't wait.

Saturday night we went to Wolfgang Puck's steakhouse Cut for a friend's birthday.

the restaurant is located in the Beverly Wilshire hotel, the same hotel in Pretty Woman. pretty cool. the food, though, was only mediocre.

we sat by Brad Pitt.
we started off with toro tuna tartare and bone marrow flan. I really enjoyed the tartare, R thought it was only okay. we both loved the bone marrow flan. we both ordered filet mignon for our steaks (mine petite, R's bone-in). both were really good. the sides, though. not that great. we ordered the tempura onion rings, brussels sprouts with bacon and pearl onions, Matsutake mushrooms, and potato tarte tatin. the only thing we loved were the mushrooms. the brussels sprouts were decent, but the onion rings and the potato tarte tatin kind of... sucked. luckily dessert offered some sort of redemption. we had a bananas foster creme brulee with banana sorbet. it was delicious. we walked out of there not enirely impressed. especially for the amount of money we spent. and Cut is touted as one of the best steakhouses in Los Angeles. maybe my expectations were high because we love Spago, W.P.'s other restaurant. and because we have been to some really fantastic steakhouses. I was expecting the same level. I would in all honesty rather go to Ruth's Chris before going back to Cut.

after dinner, we headed downtown to Seven Grand, on, you guessed it, Seventh and Grand. it was a pretty cool little bar. we stood in line for quite some time before getting in, but it was worth it I would say. they are known to have one of the largest selections of whiskey in the U.S., if not the world. and they are famous for their mint juleps, which happens to be my favorite alcoholic beverage ever. it's just a shame that we got there so late and I was nearly falling asleep on my stool that I never even finished it. we'll have to go back again so that I can make it right.

Sunday: spent the morning and afternoon watching football. my Bucs have advanced to 7-3. afterwards, we headed to the Verizon store to check out some Blackberrys (I hope to get one for Christmas) and find out when R needs to be at the store on Friday in order to secure the new BB Storm. we headed to the grocery store afterwards for a much needed shopping trip, came home, made some burritos for dinner, watched some tv, then headed to bed.

all in all, a pretty decent weekend.

3 comments:

leah @maritalbless said...

Sounds like a fabulous weekend, but I was sold at Thai! :)

Sarah said...

LOL at passing out, ordering Thai, and then passing out again....honestly, that's probably my ideal evening.

Kelly said...

haha. it's definitely my ideal evening. I'm a total homebody.