Tuesday, February 19, 2008

chili and jalapeño corn muffins

with the weather outside right now (cold and rainy), I've really been craving some good cold-weather comfort food. one of my favorite meals is my Dad's chili, and the jalapeño corn muffins are the perfect compliment. unfortunately I can't make it anytime soon since we're in the process of moving and we need to eat up everything that we already have. but I thought I'd share the recipes anyway.

Iggy's Champion Chili
2 tbl vegetable oil 2 medium onions, diced
1 medium green bell pepper, diced

1 large celery stalk, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 pounds lean ground beef
2 16 ounce cans chili beans
2 16 ounce cans Kidney beans
2 16 ounce cans stewed tomatoes
2 16 ounce cans whole tomatoes
2 cups Beef bouillon
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
1 4 ounce can diced green chilies
1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
1 6 ounce can tomato paste
⅔ cup chili powder
1 tbl cumin
½ teaspoon red pepper sauce, or to taste
½ can (6 ounces) beer
12 ounce club soda or mineral water (I use club soda)
2 teaspoons garlic salt
½ teaspoon black pepper (salt and pepper to taste)
2 bay leaves

Heat oil in large pot and sauté onions, green peppers and celery just until soft.

Add garlic and meat. Break up the meat and cook until brown.

Stir in remaining ingredients. Cook for about 3 hours on low heat (simmer, do not boil), stir often (it will stick to bottom of pot).

Remove bay leaves before serving (or just see who’s chili they end up in).

Yield: about 20 cups (16 servings)

Jalapeño Corn Muffins
one 8½ ounce box corn muffin mix
½ cup milk (I use skim)
2 cups fresh corn kernels (3 ears) (I use a 16 ounce can of corn)
4 ounces jalapeño jack cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
½ cup chopped fresh basil
salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, prepare the mix according to the package directions, using the milk in place of water. Stir in the corn, cheese and basil; season with salt and pepper.

Grease a muffin pan and fill each cup with batter. Bake until lightly golden brown, 30 minutes; let cool.

0 comments: